ACS recognises that your personal information is important to you and that you are concerned with its collection, use and disclosure. Australian Camera Sales is a company that operates in Australia and is bound by the National Privacy Principles as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) which have a clear set of standards regarding these activities.
Our policy on the collection, use and disclosure of customer personal information is set out below.
WHY DOES ACS COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
The personal information you provide to ACS may be collected, used and disclosed for a number of purposes connected with our business operations, which include:
- providing you with products and/or services requested;
- dealing with requests, enquiries, complaints, consumer guarantee or warranty claims, and other customer care related activities;
- marketing our products and services and providing advice on our products;
- developing and improving our products and services;
- in connection with our loyalty or reward programmes and competitions;
- the operation and administration of accounts or subscriptions that you have with us;
- carrying out certain checks (for example, for our fraud or theft prevention processes, if you wish to open an account with us, obtain credit from us or pick-up goods in-store that have been ordered online);
- carrying out any activity in connection with a legal, governmental or regulatory requirement that we have to comply with, or in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution;
- interacting with companies or organisations with whom Australian Camera Sales has a business relationship;
- Reconciling payments due to Australian Camera Sales from suppliers in relation to goods or services provided to you by those suppliers; and
- purposes relating to any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in Australian Camera Sales or its assets.
We may also use your personal information for other purposes related to those described above which would be reasonably expected by you.
Generally, you have no obligation to provide any information requested by us. However, if you choose not to do so, we are unlikely to be able to provide you with the goods and services that you want or carry on the other activities set out above.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES ACS COLLECT?
The type of personal information we collect or which we may hold about you may include:
- your name;
- your address;
- your date of birth;
- your telephone number(s);
- your e-mail address;
- payment information;
- transaction information
- your user name and password;
- information contained on identification documents (such as driving licences) where we require these to verify your identity;
- information on how you use our products and services;
- your Internet Protocol ("IP") address, server address, domain name and information on your browsing activity when visiting one of our websites;
- your User Name for social networking sites that you use, to refer to, or in conjunction with, our goods and services; and
- personal preferences regarding products and services.
HOW DOES ACS COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect personal information to ensure personalization of your needs and interests, we collect this information in a number of ways including:
- when you order goods or services from us;
- when you set up an account with us;
- when you purchase certain products or extended warranties from us;
- when you subscribe to our catalogues or mailing lists;
- when you enter competitions or promotions that we run;
- when you provide us your details for customer care purposes;
- when you browse our website
- when you complete surveys or provide online feedback or product reviews; and
- when you publicly comment about us on social media sites.
Australian Camera Sales also holds information, collected incidentally, concerning individuals who work for companies or organisations that have a business relationship with us.
When you create an account with us we will ask you whether you wish to receive information relating to ACS and our products. You may also choose to receive such information by subscribing to our mailing list via our website. To opt-out of receiving our marketing materials, you will need to unsubscribe. To do this, simply select the "unsubscribe" option in one of the emails that you receive from us. Please note that if you have an account with ACS, we may still need to send you essential information about your account.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
ACS may disclose or receive personal information or documents about you to/from:
- our service providers who assist us in providing our services, including organisations that assist us with customer support, administration, archival, research, mail and delivery, marketing, auditing, consulting, financial and legal advisory, banking, security or technical services. In some cases these service providers may collect your personal information on our behalf;
- law enforcement agencies to assist in the prevention, investigation and prosecution of criminal activities;
- parties involved in any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in Australian Camera Sales or its assets; and
- to other third parties where you have specifically consented to the disclosure of information to these third parties.
STORAGE OF INFORMATION OFFSHORE
ACS may transfer and store your personal information offshore for the purposes of payment processing and fraud detection.
PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED ON BEHALF OF OTHER PARTIES
ACS may collect information about you on behalf of third parties. For example, information collected for finance providers such as Zip Pay.
In these cases the documentation that you sign will set out how the Personal Information that you provide will be used by these third parties and the privacy policies of the third parties will apply. Australian Camera Sales may also receive personal information or documents about you from these third parties where necessary in connection with the provision of goods or services by ACS.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We respect and guard the personal information of our customers to ensure your information is secure form outside sources. There are constant steps we take to ensure that the personal information that we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up-to-date and stored is in a secure environment protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
HOW TO ACCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Upon your request, ACS will provide access to your personal information that we hold (except in certain circumstances set out in the Privacy Law). ACS reserves the right to charge you an administration fee of $25 for providing access to your personal information and will, of course, require some proof of your identify before providing information to you. ACS prides on the security of our customers, hence has the right to refuse to provide information in any situation if ACS and Nominees deem unsafe, unsecure or with lack of proof of the correct amount of identity.
We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is up-to-date and secure. However, the accuracy of that personal information depends to a large extent on the information you provide to us.
To help ensure the accuracy of the personal information we hold about you, we ask that you:
- let us know if you become aware of any errors in the personal information that we hold about you; and
- inform us of changes to your personal information, such as changes to your name or address or other contact details, using the contact details set out at the end of this Statement. In addition:
- if you are a subscriber to our mailing list you can also update your details via the "unsubscribe" option in one of the emails that you receive from us;
- if you subscribe to one of our services, you can also update your details via that service.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR USERS OF OUR WEBSITE
If you visit www.australiancamerasales.com.au to read, browse or download information, our system may record information such as the date and time of your visit to the Website, the pages accessed and any information downloaded. This information is used (a) for statistical and reporting purposes; (b) for website administration, security and maintenance purposes; and (c) to direct you to material on our websites that we believe will be of interest to you.
Like many websites, our Website may use "cookies" from time to time. Cookies are small text files that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your web browser to enable our systems to recognise your browser and your log-in status. Cookies may also be used to record non-personal information such as the date, time or duration of your visit, or the pages accessed, for website administration, statistical and maintenance purposes. Any such information will be aggregated and not linked to particular individuals. The default settings of browsers like Internet Explorer usually allow cookies, but users can easily erase cookies from their hard-drive, block all cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Please note that some parts of the Website may not function fully for users that disallow cookies.
While we take great care to protect your personal information on our Website and use state-of-the-art data transmission encryption, unfortunately no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Accordingly, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you send to us or receive from us online. This is particularly true for information you send to us via email. We have no way of protecting that information until it reaches us. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security in our possession.
The Websites may contain links/ plug-ins to other sites. We are not responsible for content of, or the privacy practices or policies of, those sites.
ACS sometimes handles personal information relying on exemptions under the Privacy Act, for example in relation to (a) employee records; (b) related bodies corporate; (c) provision of services to State or Territory authorities; and (d) operations outside Australia relating to personal information of non-Australians.
Any permitted handling of personal information under such exemptions will take priority over this privacy statement to the extent of any inconsistency.